The History of Redlands Guest House
Redlands was built at the turn of the 20th century. This late Victorian/Early Edwardian building was built from the waste granite used in the construction of Brixham breakwater. The upper end of New road at this time was home to affluent middle classes and we believe that this house was originally constructed for a Master Mariner. This ships Captain earned a living trasporting glacial ice from Scandinavia back to Brixham for the Fishing fleet, although, it wasn't long before he was rendered redundant by the recent invention and later construction in 1912 of an ice making plant in the harbour.
In the 1950's Conrad Phillips converted Redlands into a 7 bedroom Hotel. Conrad trained at RADA and after a successful acting career in Film and Television decided that he wanted to return to the stage. Making a living as serious actor is notoriously unpredictable and in order to provide for his family he and his wife Jean purchased Redlands.
He became a valuable member of the Brixham community and was an accomplished yachtsman. Under his ownership, Redlands gained a somewhat racy reputatiion with his connections in TV amd film, the hotel became a discreet retreat for the acting fraternity. Guests included Roger Moore, Barbara Windsor, Una Stubbs to name a few. The studio portrait on display in the reception was discovered in the attic by the present owners.
Made even more famous by the Sky television series Fish Town, but remains a traditional quaint fishing town located on the English Riviera oozing charm and character from its narrow streets.
The bustling harbour of Brixham boasts one of the most active commercial fishing fleets in England with daily boat trips and fishing excursions widely available.
Take a stroll around the marina, home to many motor cruisers,yachts and pleasure boats, then onto the breakwater. The inner harbour is home to a replica of Sir Francis Drake's famous 'Golden Hind'.
The town itself offers various attractions including shops, pubs and numerous restaurants, catering for all tastes and specialising in locally caught seafood. Away from the town centre is 'Berry Head' with its Napoleonic Fortress and designated area of scientific interest.